By Brianna Wiest
So often in life, our greatest obstacle is ourselves.
It's not that we can't force ourselves to grit our teeth and push through another four hours of work. It's not that we don't know what we should be doing, or how we could better apply ourselves. Self-sabotage happens in small, almost undetectable moments. Our minds breed resistance through repetition: how often we have self-defeating thoughts, or spend time with people who demotivate us, or give up after a temporary setback.
If you want this to be the year that changes your life, this has to be the year that you change yourself. Here, 48 ways to get started:
1. Start dreaming in strategy, not theory. Think about how you could create or accomplish something, not if you could.
2. Stop speaking to people who drain, exhaust, frustrate and fundamentally misunderstand you.
3. Stop trying to awaken, educate, inform or inspire people who do not seek out that kind of counsel on their own. Your efforts will not only be ineffective, they will drain you.
4. Look the monster square in the eye. If you have debt, know the number down to the cent. If you're overweight, know by exactly how much. If you are overspending, know exactly where that money went. If you're underperforming, know exactly what your peers are doing. You're not stuck because you're lazy, you're stuck because you're still in denial.
5. Start reading. One book you read this weekend can help you obtain the knowledge of a person's entire lifetime of work. Imagine if you read another next week, & then another the next.
6. Stop treating the symptoms. The most common ways people mess up their lives are symptoms of deeper traumas, fears and unresolved issues. Realizing this is half the battle.
7. Stop waiting for success to be linear. Instead of being defeated by a setback, stay focused on what the big picture really is.
8. Stop putting effort into spending time with people who consistently make you feel frustrated & uncomfortable. Let them fade into the background until they are gone from your life for good.